Admission Notice QPGMC (Session 2012). new
Quaid e Azam Postgraduate Medical College (QPGMC) is a component of Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences (PIMS) headed by the Executive Director, PIMS, Islamabad as Dean of QPGMC. The establishment of QPGMC is milestone for Pakistan. The foundation stone of the building was laid on March 14th 1990. Total covered area of college is 176093sq.ft. It started functioning from 1st Fecbruary 1989.
Prof. Ghazala Mahmud Dean QPGMC
Prof. Muhammad Amjad Chaudhary
Deputy Dean QPGMC
1. Introduction to the College.
Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences, Islamabad consists of the following academic Institutions :
1. Quaid-e-Azam Postgraduate Medical College.
2. College of Nursing.
3. College of Medical Technology.
4. School of Nursing.
5. Mother & Child Health Centre
Quaid-e-Azam Postgraduate Medical College was affiliated with Quaid-e-Azam University, Islamabad in September, 1988 for training and award of degrees and diplomas in various specialities.
The College started MD/MS, M.Phil, DMRD and other diplomas courses w.e.f. February, 1989. After recognition of College of Physicians & Surgeons Pakistan the College started FCPS PART-II training in various specialities since 1990. Pakistan Medical & Dental Council recognized the college w.e.f. 12th March, 1989.
2 . Aims & Objectives :
To provide postgraduate medical education and training in the clinical subjects.
To run courses and training programme in basic medical sciences and hospital administration.
To provide postgraduate medical education at a very low cost and in many circumstances free.
To augment and strength research facilities in medical field which are limited at the moment.
To keep liaison with other sister institutions in the country for purposes of research and medical education.
To award diplomas and degrees to the successful students in various specialities through Quaid-e-Azam University, Islamabad.
3. Project Details
The establishment of the Quaid-e-Azam Postgraduate Medical College is a milestone for the Pakistan Institute of Medical Sciences. This will help in meeting the deficiency of specialist doctors in the country, which is presently less than 50% of the required number. The foundation stone of the building was laid down on March 14, 1990 and when completed. It will have an academic block with modern research laboratories seminar rooms, spacious library, audio-visual department and an auditorium for 500 persons with a gallery in it. The main block will have departments of 19 different specialities. A separate administration block and a staff cafeteria has been provided. Hostels to accommodate 150 male, 50 female and 48 married studies have been planned. The main block will have departments of 19 different specialities. The total cost of the project is 87.00 million rupees and the total covered area will be 176,093 Sq. ft 40% of the construction work of the project has been completed.
At present the college is headed by the Dean who is being assisted by the Deputy Dean. The specialists working in various departments of the PIMS form the major component of the teaching staff of the college, in addition to the basic sciences departments which needs to be established. At present we have 22 Professors, 27 Associate Professors, 21 Assistant Professors and 28 Senior Registrars. Basic Science Department will have additional Professors, Associate Professors, Assistant Professors, Demonstrators and supporting staff.
4. Academic Activities
Following courses are presently being offered by Quaid-e-Azam Postgraduate Medical College to the departmental candidates, students from all Pakistan including foreign students. The academic year starts from January.
1. M.D. - General Medicine
- Paediatric Medicine
2. M.S - General Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Neuro Surgery
- Paediatric Surgery
3. Ph.D Clinical Sciences (Pathology)
4. MDS Oral Surgery
5. M.Phil Histopathology
6. D.M.R.D. (Diploma in Med. & Radiology Diagnosis)
7. D.C.H. (Diploma in Child Health)
8. D.C.P. (Diploma in Clinical Pathology)
The facilities of FCPS PART-II training are also available in the following specialities:
01. General Medicine 14. General Surgery
02. Paeds. Medicine 15. Paeds. Surgery
03. Cardiology 16. Neuro Surgery
04. Neurology 17. Orthopaedic Surgery
05. Pulmonary Medicine 18. Plastic Surgery
06. Oncology 19. Urology
07. Nephrology 20. E.N.T.
08. Gastroenterology 21. Ophthalmology
09. Psychiatry 22 Obstetrics & Gynaecology
10. Dermatology 23. Anaesthesiology
11. Histopathology 24. Radiology
12. Chemical Pathology 25. Neonatal Paediatrics
13. Operative Dentistry
- Training programme in basic sciences is being offered once a year.
- Courses are regularly being held for minor and major diplomas. Already a number of young doctors from all over Pakistan have availed these courses.
- In addition, full time courses specially designed for postgraduation in medicine and surgery have been designed and have been running for the last two & a half years.
- These courses lay particular stress on practical training. The students are rotated in all the specialities of Medicine and Surgery and are encouraged to take active part in scientific and clinico pathological conference etc. Students who complete these courses may take either FCPS or MD/MS examination according to their choice.
- Regular Intensive training courses have been held for FCPS/FRCS/MRCP residents by the department of Paediatric Surgery and by department of General Surgery. Examiners of FCPS in Rawalpindi/Islamabad and from other cities were invited.
- A separate training programme for MRCP/FRCS (PART-II) students has already been organized. This training is recognized in UK for FRCS, MRCP examination requirements.
Admission Committee for all postgraduate courses was constituted. It consisted of all head of departments in which postgraduate courses are being organized. Maximum objective criteria for admissions are designed so that best candidates could be selected on merit. However, provincial quota are being observed according to rules & regulations.
Examination Committee was constituted to organize all examinations of QPGMC.
MD General Medicine = 02
FCPS-II General Medicine = 32
MD Paeds. Medicine = 0 2
FCPS-II Paeds. Medicine = 11
DCH = 115
MD Nephrology = 02
FCPS-II Nephrology = 03
FCPS-II Cardiology = 03
FCPS-II Oncology = 0 1
FCPS-II Gastroenterology = 02
FCPS-II Neurology = 06
MS General Surgery = 05
FCPS-II General Surgery = 30
MS Orthopaedic Surgery = 11
FCPS-II Orthopaedic Surgery = 06
MS Urology = 04
FCPS-II Urology = 15
MS Neuro Surgery = 05
FCPS-II Neuro Surgery = 10
MS Paeds. Surgery = 02
FCPS-II Paeds. Surgery = 07
FCPS-II Ophthalmology = 08
FCPS-II E.N.T. = 17
FCPS-II Gynae & Obs. = 09
MDS Oral Surgery = 03
FCPS-II Oral & Maxilo. Surgery = 01
D.M.R.D. = 20
FCPS-II Radiology = 07
M.Phil Histopathology = 09
D.C.P. = 29
FCPS-II Anaesthesiology = 09
D.L.O (E.N.T) = 04
MCPS-E.N.T. = 01
D.O. Ophthalmology = 01
MCPS Ophthalmology = 02